Feb 14, 2011

Simple Scrappy Quilting Ideas

Whenever I have any spare time I like to go through my fabric scraps and cut them into 2-1/2" squares and 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" pieces.  The following are three of my versions on how to use these pieces. One unit is made for all three. To make the unit sew two 2-1/2" squares together. Press seam to one side. Sew a 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" neutral color to the pieced squares. See photo below. I did keep the neutral colors the same but it's not necessary.
The following pictures show the three ways to use this unit in a quilt.
Option #1-Sew units in horizontal rows.

Option #2-Flip every other unit to create a zig-zag effect.

Option #3-Referring to the picture place the units to create what I call positive and negative scrappy squares.
I had more fun with this. I think I'll go cut more scraps.
Another idea! Why not get together with friends and have a cutting party. Everybody cuts the same size and swaps fabrics they don't have.
Happy stitching,
Joan



1 comment:

  1. So simple and easy and yet so beautiful with endless possibilities of making a quilt with scraps.

    ReplyDelete